.    .
.




  = Blogroll = Crooked Timber
Phobophilia
BitchPhD
SCOTUS Blog
Balkinization
Am. Constitution Society
Unfogged
Dooce
Pandagon
Blurbomat
See Jane Compute
The Valve
if:book
Scientific Activist
Academic Secret
ScientificBlogs
Technorati




about this page
This page was constructed using the lovely patterns developed by the extremely talented Squidfingers. Some of the patterns have been modified.

All content on this page is the property of the author and is not to be reproduced without express permission from the author.
.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Carnie-markt

Apparently today is a special markt day -- there are a few carnie rides blaring very bad German pop music and several fire engines open for the children to climb about. It is louder and more crowded than the normal market, most of the small dogs replaced by small children; I, of course, prefer the former. Even so, the marketing was fast and easy today, and almost none of it was conducted in English, of which I am rather proud.

Everyone has asked about Dad. The master baker (the English-speaking one) came over as I was finishing with his colleague to ask if he had gone home, and said how nice he had been. The cheese-monger spoke at length about how wonderful last weekend had been, how much he had enjoyed talking to Dad -- he used the word "awesome."

I feel a little more alone now that Dad has been and gone, and seeing a familiar face smiling is a welcome relief. The baker's assistant's very careful recitation of my bill in English she had clearly been practicing, just for me, and the cheese-monger's assistant's grin when I greeted her in German are little puffs of recognition, moments where I am not invisible. I have started my Intensive German course (just once class so far), and while I wish it had started right when I got here, I'm very pleased. It felt good to walk into the classroom, and see other people I could talk to (not just work people) -- in addition to becoming less invisible.

One of the very neat things Dad and I saw in Maastricht* was the roaming coffee (and beer). We happened to be there on Markt Day, so the Rathaus square was full -- I do mean full -- of stands. Dad described it as like the Swap Meet where they live, and he didn't seem to be far wrong; it was a zoo -- probably 10 times larger than the one here. The square there, as everywhere, is ringed by cafes and bars, and from these servers with loaded drinks trays would sally forth into the market. I mention this because outside, all of the police (older men, probably retired officers, as are the firemen with the engine) are standing about with cups and saucers from Leibervoll. In this respect, people here have their priorities right! (However, if I hear another scientist count the hours they work -- so that they can figure out how much extra time off is guaranteed by their contract -- I will start taunting.)

There are more ominous clouds blowing in among generally overcast sky, but for now I can sit outside and listen to the clamor. It's a nice scene -- I there should be a car chase soon! Sadly, that didn't last long -- it started sprinkling almost at once. So, because I have the computer, I had to retreat inside Leibervoll, even though it's raining seldom and very little. The amount of rain is astounding. I sort of expect everything to just wash away, but it doesn't. If this is the price for green, they can keep it.

As one of the more expected ironies, the sun has been flicking out, briefly very bright, while I sit inside. With the computer, of course, I cannot risk it, so I will pack up to go outside and wander instead; and ask the baker to bring me some seeded croissants for next week. Have a good Saturday.

*It's also the only place that I have seen a real pastry since my arrival -- wonderful.
The bread here has been great, but the pastries not so much.

.
Name:
Location: Currently, Berkeley, United States

I'm an academic scientist who is both abroad and a broad. I am on the road so often that I have a house solely so that my cats will have somewhere to live.


Contact?
Okay, fine. If you really really want to, and don't care how long it is between mail checks, you can send email to ascientistabroad  {a}gmail{dot}com

And, okay, sometimes there are comments. But it's my blog and I'll delete anything I want.

Recent Posts

Powered by Blogger


.